WEDNESDAY 13 OFFERS HIS “CONDOLENCES” IN NEW VIDEO — WATCH
ALBUM OUT TODAY, JUNE 2, THROUGH NUCLEAR BLAST
Wednesday 13 is offering his “Condolences.”
His new album Condolences is out today, June 2, via Nuclear Blast. The Duke of Spook also dropped the video for the title track, which features a faux funeral — his own. Watch it here.
“We weren’t trying to do a really long, Iron Maiden-type of song — it just came out that way,” Wednesday 13 said, offering some insight into the song. “It wasn’t forced and I think it’s awesome! It’s one of the first songs I wrote for the record. The title Condolences came from when David Bowie passed away; I kept seeing ‘Condolences, sorry for your loss.’ I realized how powerful that word was, so I picked my guitar up and started writing the riff for it; I had the chorus instantly.”
He furthered, “We shortened the song for the video — we cut two minutes off of it. But it’s still a really, really dark song. And I think we captured that vibe in the video. It’s definitely the strangest thing I’ve ever done – I filmed my fake funeral. I had all my friends there, putting flowers on a casket; it was really weird! I had a wreath that said, ‘In Memory of Wednesday 13.’ I’m the priest in it, doing my eulogy, and I’m also inside the casket, like I’m being buried alive. When we filmed the video, the director, Matt Zane, said, ‘This reminds me of Twisted Sister – ‘Burn In Hell’ or ‘Captain Howdy.’ And I was like, ‘Holy shit, it does! I didn’t even realize it.”
Wednesday finished, “Then, there’s a band performance; it’s just a really dark, fucked up video. All the different sounds – none of that is keyboard. That’s all Roman’s guitar and effects he has created. He spent hours creating all these soundscapes. Every time it goes into a chorus, you hear that weird, eerie high-pitched sound; when I first heard it, it gave me goosebumps. I’ve never recorded a song that gave me chills like that.” ICYMI: Watch the video for “What the Night Brings” here.
Also, check out the video for “Blood Sick.”
Lastly, enjoy the video for “Cruel to You” here.
Wednesday 13 will tour this summer. All dates are below. WEDNESDAY 13 TOUR DATES:
I am a small business owner, freelance writer, and part-time piano instructor in Charlotte, NC. My musical career started at the age of five when I was forced into taking piano lessons. I played flute in the school band and added the guitar as a young teen. There is nothing I would rather do than be at a live show. My first concert was Shaun Cassidy at the Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo in 1978.
My top five live shows ever are:
1. Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band – Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, NY 1984- They played for 3 ½ hours and it was awesome.
2. Carolina Rebellion- Metrolina Expo Grounds, Charlotte, NC, May, 2011 – The first ever Carolina Rebellion featured over 15 bands with Avenged Sevenfold headlining. Non-stop music for over 12 hours.
3. Chevelle- Food Lion Speed Street, Charlotte, NC, May, 2008 - The first time I ever saw Chevelle live and I was hooked!
4. Skillet with Red- Bojangle’s Coliseum, Charlotte, NC, April, 2010 – Skillet is one of my favorite bands and they totally kick it live.
5. 106.5 The End’s Weenie Roast #9- Verizon Wireless Amiptheater, Charlotte, NC , October, 2003- Featured Staind, Shinedown, Three Days Grace.