Joel Hoekstra is not only one of the most talented rock guitarists in the business , he also happens to be one of the busiest. In the fall and winter months, you can find him out on tour making everyone’s holidays a little brighter with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and their one of a kind musical and theatrical spectacular. You can also catch him sharing the stage with the legendary Cher which is currently out on tour. Joel had to break from touring with Cher to concentrate on the new Whitesnake record “Flesh & Blood” (which will be released on May 10th) and upcoming spring tour. In addition to all that, Joel is highly sought after by a variety of artists looking for some of his stellar guitar work for their own records. Joel was kind enough to take a quick breather from all of that and chat with us here at BackstageAxxess to fill us in on the aforementioned and an update on his latest solo venture Joel Hoekstra’s 13. Please join us for a conversation with the one and only, Joel Hoekstra.
We would like to thank Jon Freeman of Freeman Promotions for setting up the interview with Joel. For more information on Joel, please go to: Joel Hoekstra. For all your Whitesnake info including the new album “Flesh & Blood,” please go here: Whitesnake. If its Trans-Siberian Orchestra you crave, then click here: TSO. Finally, for all your Cher needs, click here: Cher.
I am a small business owner, freelance writer, and part-time piano instructor in Charlotte, NC. My musical career started at the age of five when I was forced into taking piano lessons. I played flute in the school band and added the guitar as a young teen. There is nothing I would rather do than be at a live show. My first concert was Shaun Cassidy at the Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo in 1978.
My top five live shows ever are:
1. Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band – Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, NY 1984- They played for 3 ½ hours and it was awesome.
2. Carolina Rebellion- Metrolina Expo Grounds, Charlotte, NC, May, 2011 – The first ever Carolina Rebellion featured over 15 bands with Avenged Sevenfold headlining. Non-stop music for over 12 hours.
3. Chevelle- Food Lion Speed Street, Charlotte, NC, May, 2008 - The first time I ever saw Chevelle live and I was hooked!
4. Skillet with Red- Bojangle’s Coliseum, Charlotte, NC, April, 2010 – Skillet is one of my favorite bands and they totally kick it live.
5. 106.5 The End’s Weenie Roast #9- Verizon Wireless Amiptheater, Charlotte, NC , October, 2003- Featured Staind, Shinedown, Three Days Grace.